Recipe by Dienia B.
A Czech meal, Dodge County Extension 1976. Has sauerkrat dressing made with duck grease. I am guessing on how much this will serve and how long it takes. This is a very old recipe that children are trying to find because that's how Grandma cooked it. This is vegetarian except for the duck fat, and who has that? Butter or oil could be used.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup potato flakes, instant
- 1 quart sauerkraut
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup duck fat
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs; add milk, salt, flour, baking powder, and potato flakes.
- Mix to form soft dough.
- Divide into 8 parts.
- Roll each into long bun or round ball.
- Put sauerkraut and water in a large kettle and bring to a boil.
- Lay dumplings on sauerkraut and steam 8 minutes.
- Test by cutting in 2 with thread or pricking to center with fork.
- Put dumplings in a bowl.
- Put duck fat in skillet; when hot add flour and brown.
- Add onion flakes (she says they can be fresh onion) and caraway seed to sauerkraut; thicken with browned flour.