Recipe by ellie_
Posted for Zaar World Tour - France. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (October 1985)
Top Review by chia
this was delicious, although it is hard to describe. is it a light dessert or a breakfast/brunch entree? it's not a souffle, not a custard, not a pudding, it's consistancy is most like a flan--. i used a mix of golden raisins and cherries, they sank to the bottom of the dish. next time i make this i'll add flour to them to keep them evenly distributed. great dish.
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar, optional topping (optional)
- strawberry preserves (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small cup or bowl marinate raisins in the brandy for at least 30 minutes.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, bring milk and vanilla beans to a boil. Remove from heat and let steep for at least 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 475-degrees F.
- Butter a 6-cup baking dish.
- In a large bowl beat eggs and sugar together until thick.
- Whisk in flour 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Remove vanilla bean from milk and discard vanilla bean.
- Whisk milk into batter.
- Stir in salt.
- Stir in undrained raisins.
- Pour batter into prepared dish.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until puffy and golden brown.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve with strawberry preserves.