14 hrs 30 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
Sort of French baked beans--a gratin which is wonderful served alongside grilled or roasted meat, particularly lamb. From a James Peterson recipe. Cook time includes overnight soaking of the dried beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups dried flageolet beans (may substitute cannellini or great northern beans)
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or unsalted butter or duck fat)
- 1/2 lb prosciutto (an end cut which can sometimes be purchased cheaply will do beautifully, if not, get a thick slice)
- 1 bouquet garni (parsley, bay leaf, sage leaves, thyme sprigs)
- 6 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade and unsalted
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (or one cup canned diced tomatoes)
- 4 slices white bread, slightly stale, crust removed (sandwich bread like Pepperidge Farm)
- 1Cover the beans in cold water by at least three inches of liquid and allow to soak overnight.
- 2When your beans have soaked, heat the onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat for about ten minutes.
- 3Add prosciutto (if the end--add it whole, if a slice, cut into dice and add), the drained beans, the stock and the bouquet garni.
- 4Bring to a simmer, partially cover the pot and continue to simmer very gently, stirring every twenty minutes or so (and adding additional broth or water if the beans become dry) for about one and a half hours or until the beans have softened completely.
- 5Stir the tomatoes into the beans and cook uncovered until the beans are no longer submerged in liquid.
- 6If you used a prosciutto end, remove it and peel off and discard the rind, chop the remaining meat and add back into the beans.
- 7Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 8Process the bread in your blender or food processor (or grate using the larger holes on your box grater).
- 9Spread the beans in an 8 - 12 cup gratin or baking dish.
- 10Sprinkle the surface with the bread crumbs and the remaining olive oil; bake for thirty minutes or until the surface is golden brown.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flageolet Bean Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 308.9
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 5.4 mg
- Sodium 355.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.3 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 16.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: