1/5 Photos of Flaeskeaeggekage (Danish Bacon & Egg Pancake/Omelet)
In Scandanavia, the word pancake is an almost generic term used for crepes, omelets & true pancakes, but mostly for crepes & omelets. The origin of this recipe is my “Classic Scandanavian Cooking” by Nika Hazelton cookbook & the intro suggests using a very tasty & full-flavored bacon for the best result. If I were in the US & making this dish, I’d be using a thick-sliced peppered bacon or good maple-flavored bacon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Fry bacon in a med-sized non-stick skillet till crisp. Remove bacon to drain on paper towel. Remove any rendered bacon fat in excess of 3 tablespoons When bacon has cooled, crumble into sml pieces & set aside. (NOTE: I’ve not had Danish bacon, but it is sold canned, is lean & well-flavored. The recipe says to reserve all bacon fat in the skillet if using Danish bacon, but I amended that to allow for using most US types of bacon.).
- 2Beat eggs w/milk, flour, salt & chives. Reheat bacon fat & pour egg mixture into it.
- 3When the omelet begins to set, sprinkle the crumbled bacon on the top & lift cooked omelet edges w/a fork so the uncooked portion runs underneath. Cont cooking till the eggs are set & the edges golden brown. Fold the omelet & serve hot, cutting the omelet in half to serve 2 hearty appetites or 3 wedges for less hearty appetites.
- 4For a firmer omelet, turn out onto a plate& return the omelet to the skillet, uncooked side down. Brown lightly & serve.
- 5NOTE: Not a part of the recipe, but I like cream cheese w/this & add a smear of it to half the omelet b4 I fold it over.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flaeskeaeggekage (Danish Bacon & Egg Pancake/Omelet)
Serving Size: 1 (334 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 788.4
- Calories from Fat 608
- Total Fat 67.6 g
- Saturated Fat 23.0 g
- Cholesterol 643.6 mg
- Sodium 1769.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 34.5 g