Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
In Scandanavia, the word pancake is an almost generic term used for crepes, omelets & true pancakes, but mostly for crepes & omelets. The origin of this recipe is my “Classic Scandanavian Cooking” by Nika Hazelton cookbook & the intro suggests using a very tasty & full-flavored bacon for the best result. If I were in the US & making this dish, I’d be using a thick-sliced peppered bacon or good maple-flavored bacon.
- Fry bacon in a med-sized non-stick skillet till crisp. Remove bacon to drain on paper towel. Remove any rendered bacon fat in excess of 3 tablespoons When bacon has cooled, crumble into sml pieces & set aside. (NOTE: I’ve not had Danish bacon, but it is sold canned, is lean & well-flavored. The recipe says to reserve all bacon fat in the skillet if using Danish bacon, but I amended that to allow for using most US types of bacon.).
- Beat eggs w/milk, flour, salt & chives. Reheat bacon fat & pour egg mixture into it.
- When the omelet begins to set, sprinkle the crumbled bacon on the top & lift cooked omelet edges w/a fork so the uncooked portion runs underneath. Cont cooking till the eggs are set & the edges golden brown. Fold the omelet & serve hot, cutting the omelet in half to serve 2 hearty appetites or 3 wedges for less hearty appetites.
- For a firmer omelet, turn out onto a plate& return the omelet to the skillet, uncooked side down. Brown lightly & serve.
- NOTE: Not a part of the recipe, but I like cream cheese w/this & add a smear of it to half the omelet b4 I fold it over.
We really enjoyed this omelet. I made it as directed and served it with thick slices of heirloom tomatoes that I grow in the garden. What a fantastic breakfast! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
I made half the recipe and just used 2 slices of turkey bacon. I added 1/4 teaspoon dill weed and skipped the salt for health reasons, and the taste was incredible. A great hearty breakfast with toast and marmalade. Thanks for posting twissis. Made for your win in Football Pool 2010 - Week 12.
Had this for a light supper,very good.