Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is my mother's recipe. I havent seen this anywhere else. This is a work in progress, figuring out the exact measurements of all the spices. I like making this in bulk, you can definately reduce the ratios
- 2 large onions
- 2 stalks celery, halved
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 3 lbs tripe
- 2 tablespoons maggi seasoning (optional)
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons whole allspice
- 1 tablespoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- wash tripe, cut in 1/3in strips, no more than 3in long.
- in large soup pot, saute whole onion, celery and carrot until golden.
- add tripe, and 6-7c water, enough to cover.
- add maggi (optional), salt, marjoram, nutmeg, paprika, bay leaf, pepper and allspice. I reccomend putting your whole pepper and allspice in either a tea ball, or in cheese cloth, otherwise this soup gets difficult to eat when you have to pick out the spices.
- cook for 1-2 hours until trip is tender, not soft and mushy.
- make a roux. Fry 1/3c flour over high heat until it turns light brown. Take some liquid out of the soup, mix the roux into that liquid, and add the mixture back.
- Serve with rye bread.
Spice portions are perfect and the tripes tasted like portobello mushroom; very tasty soup indeed! Will be making again and again.