Recipe by Diet It Up
In honor of Cinco de Mayo, I'm offering up my own spin on Huevos Rancheros. This is a lightened-up version that's great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The fresh salsa is a refreshing alternative and really brightens up an otherwise heavy dish.
- 1⁄2 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons red onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh jalapeno peppers, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 small corn tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup refried beans, fat free (spicy)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1⁄2 avocado, sliced
- 2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- For the salsa, mix the tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, jalapeno pepper, lime juice and olive oil in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Toast the corn tortillas (I put them right in the toaster oven and they crisp up perfectly even).
- Fry eggs until over-easy.
- To assemble, top each tortilla with beans, egg and cheese. Broil until cheese melts. Finish with avocado, salsa and sour cream.