Recipe by Jamilahs_Kitchen
Flaó is similar to American cheesecake, but the use of mint leaves and aniseeds sets it apart and makes it particularly refreshing. Posted for ZWT 5.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon anise seed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced lemon zest
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 6 fresh mint leaves (to garnish)
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- To make the crust, in a bowl, combine the olive oil, butter, water, lemon juice, if using, aniseeds, flour, granulated sugar, and salt and stir with a wooden spoon until the ingredients combine together in a rough dough. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for about 10 minutes, or until soft and no longer sticky.
- Clean the work surface, dust again with flour, and roll out the dough into a thin round at least 13 inches in diameter. Carefully transfer the dough round to a 10-inch springform pan with 2-inch sides, pressing it into the bottom and sides. Trim away the excess dough even with the pan rim.
- To make the filling, combine the mint leaves, lemon zest, and granulated sugar in a blender or food processor and process on high speed until you have a mixture of fine particles.
- Add the cheese, eggs, and lemon juice and process until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the crust.
- Bake the tart for 30 minutes, or until set when tested with a knife in the center. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool in the pan. Remove the pan sides and slide the tart onto a flat serving plate. Garnish with the mint leaves and dust white confectioners' sugar. Serve at room temperature.