Recipe by *Marli*
These bath bombs make fantastic gifts - they are just dropped into a hot bath & they fizz & dissolve releasing a beautiful fragrance! Surprisingly easy to make, let your imagination run WILD & experiment with different oils & colours - I also like to add dried rose petals, dried lavender & fine glitter......the possibilities are endless! I use heart shaped moulds, friand cake tins & round Christmas baubles for moulds. Let me know your ideas! I buy the citric acid in a large bag from an Asian supermarket.
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
These bombs are really great ones! I allowed them to set for 40 hours in heart-shaped molds. I stored them in a cool and dry place to set in my room and my room smelt really nice that day. I made these as a gift for my mom for the Navratri festival that is going on presently, and she loved them, especially the beautiful green colour that was released into the hot water when I dropped the bomb;-) I used lemon, orange and jasmine essential oils and green food colour. I added 2 teabags of chamomile herbs, 3 tbsps. of powdered cinnamon and red and yellow glitter. I got the citric acid from the pharmacy as it wasn't available in our Asian grocery store. The pharmacist gave it to me with a very sad expression and said he wished that the burning sensation I was suffering in my urine would stop. LOL. I can't tell you how shocked and taken aback I was that day. It took me quite some time to control myself from going into fits of laughter and to explain to him that I needed the citric acid for an aromatherapy treatment and not for a medical problem;-) That guy had my family and me laughing for hours together and we always will remember this recipe for the fun, giggles and smiles it brought into our lives. Thanks for sharing it, Marli! Definitely a keeper!
- 1 1⁄2 cups bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1⁄2 cup citric acid, powder
- 2 teaspoons sweet almond oil
- essential oil (or fragrance)
- food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- First you need to make the base mix, to do this sift together the bicarb soda& citric acid in a large dry bowl.
- Transfer 1/2 cup AT A TIME to another dry bowl, to this add any dried flowers, glitter etc.
- Set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together 1/2 teaspoon AT A TIME of almond oil, 6- 8 drops of your chosen essential oil& 6 drops of food colouring.
- Pour the oil mixture into the 1/2 cup of base mix& mix QUICKLY before it starts to fizz!
- Combine with your fingertips until all colour is evenly distributed.
- Wipe a little sweet almond oil inside your moulds.
- Fill the moulds with the mixture, packing it in firmly.
- Repeat this process with 1/2 a cup at a time, using different fragrance/colour blends if you wish.
- Leave the bath bombs to set for 24- 36 hours.
- When set lightly tap the mould & ease out gently.
- *Hot water activates the fizzy bath bombs a lot better than cold water!