Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This came out very good for me, though I have only cooked it once so far. I personally added chili powder, and red pepper flakes to spice it up a bit because the recipe itself seemed a bit too void in seasonings. I also used Jimmy Dean's all natural hot ground sausage. I think next time I will try using less salt, and maybe find a sausage with a lower sodium content. If it works out well I will update. I think this is a great base recipe for those who enjoy experimenting. You can use ham hocks and salt pork in place of the sausage if you wish, I just didn't post it because it confused the computer here. This would be good over pasta as well as rice.
- 1 lb dried red beans
- 1⁄2 lb sausage, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 -4 cups water
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Soak beans for 8 hours. Drain. Discard soaking water.
- Mix together all ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on Low 10-12 hours, or until beans are soft. Serve over rice.
- Variation: Use canned red kidney beans. Cook 1 hour on High and then 3 hours on Low.
- Note: These beans freeze well.