Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Coffee lovers, *look out*! I got this from a Five Star Digest. It is *very, very good*.
Make and share this Five Star Tiramisu recipe from Food.com.
- 2⁄3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 (8 ounce) package low-fat cream cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed and divided
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso coffee powder
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua or 2 tablespoons other coffee-flavored liqueur
- 20 ladyfingers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
- Combine powered sugar and cream cheese in a large bowl, beat at high speed until well blended.
- Gently fold 1 cup whipped cream into cheese mixture.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water and egg white in top of double boiler; place over simmering water.
- Beat mixture at high speed until peaks form.
- Gently fold in 1/4 of egg white mixture into cheese mixture.
- Fold in remaining egg white mixture and set aside.
- Combine 1/2 cup hot water, 1 TBSP sugar, coffee granules and liqueur; stir mixture well.
- Split ladyfingers in half lengthwise.
- Arrange 20 ladyfinger halves, cut sides up, in bottom 8 inch square baking dish.
- Drizzle half of espresso mixture over ladyfingers.
- Spread half of cheese mixture over ladyfinger halves and repeat process until mixture is gone.
- Spread remaining whipped topping over the last cream cheese mixture; sprinkle with cocoa.
- Place tooth picks at each corner of dish and one in the middle, Cover with plastic wrap, (tooth picks keeps plastic wrap from sticking to Tiramisu) Chill for 2 hours.
- TIP: Freeze two hours before serving, it will cut easier and cleaner.
The taste was fabulous, but I'm not sure I did the layering right, (I was confused in step 11 about "repeat process") because I only drizzled the coffee mixture over the lady fingers, but it ended up dissolving most of the cheese mixture, leaving a syrupy bottom. Chilling/freezing never resolidified it. However, despite this it was still super tasty.
YUMMY!!! I used reg. instant coffee(strong) since I didn't have the espresso. I also left the Kahlua out since my underage daughter was going to be eating it :-) My husband hates coffee...so I made him a separate pan without the coffee and just dipped (instead of pouring over) the lady fingers in the sugar water mixture (quickly or they fall apart!) and he loved it that way too. Thanks for a simple low fat version (used fat free frozen cool whip too). I will definitely make this again and again. I'm hooked! The more I ate, the more I loved it...taste great frozen too!