4 hrs 30 mins
Grace Lynn's Note:
I got this recipe from my brother-in-law who used to work at this wonderful restaurant. The recipe he gave me was for 4 times this amount. I reduced it and tested it twice with excellent results. It is the best tortilla soup I have ever had!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 quarts water
- 1 chicken (whole or cut-up)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 head garlic, unpeeled and halved
- 1 large onion, unpeeled and quartered
- 1 bunch cilantro
- salt and pepper
- 1Stock: Use a 16 quart stock pot and bring everything to boil.
- 2Lower heat and simmer until chicken floats (approx. 1 1/2 to 2 hours).
- 3Drain and reserve broth only.
- 4Save chicken for another use or you can shred it and put it into the soup.
- 5Soup: In the same stock pot, heat the vegetable oil on medium high heat and add garlic, onions, and serrano peppers, cook for a few minutes.
- 6Add the chicken stock, chipotles, corn tortillas, tomato paste, lemon juice, and sugar.
- 7Cook until the tortillas are dissolved.
- 8Use a blender and blend the soup when it's cooled.
- 9Re-heat the soup and garnish with cut up avocados, tortilla chips, sour cream, and shredded mozarella cheese.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Five-Star Restaurant's Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serving Size: 1 (463 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 102.8
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 14.1 mg
- Sodium 118.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo