4 hrs 30 mins
Grace Lynn's Note:
I got this recipe from my brother-in-law who used to work at this wonderful restaurant. The recipe he gave me was for 4 times this amount. I reduced it and tested it twice with excellent results. It is the best tortilla soup I have ever had!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 quarts water
- 1 chicken (whole or cut-up)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 head garlic, unpeeled and halved
- 1 large onion, unpeeled and quartered
- 1 bunch cilantro
- salt and pepper
- 1Stock: Use a 16 quart stock pot and bring everything to boil.
- 2Lower heat and simmer until chicken floats (approx. 1 1/2 to 2 hours).
- 3Drain and reserve broth only.
- 4Save chicken for another use or you can shred it and put it into the soup.
- 5Soup: In the same stock pot, heat the vegetable oil on medium high heat and add garlic, onions, and serrano peppers, cook for a few minutes.
- 6Add the chicken stock, chipotles, corn tortillas, tomato paste, lemon juice, and sugar.
- 7Cook until the tortillas are dissolved.
- 8Use a blender and blend the soup when it's cooled.
- 9Re-heat the soup and garnish with cut up avocados, tortilla chips, sour cream, and shredded mozarella cheese.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Five-Star Restaurant's Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serving Size: 1 (463 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 102.8
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 14.1 mg
- Sodium 118.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo