Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I got this recipe from my brother-in-law who used to work at this wonderful restaurant. The recipe he gave me was for 4 times this amount. I reduced it and tested it twice with excellent results. It is the best tortilla soup I have ever had!
- 10 quarts water
- 1 chicken (whole or cut-up)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 head garlic, unpeeled and halved
- 1 large onion, unpeeled and quartered
- 1 bunch cilantro
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 -4 serrano peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, minced
- 16 corn tortillas, cut up into pieces (thickness of soup depends on this)
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 2 -4 ounces fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 1 dash sugar
- Stock: Use a 16 quart stock pot and bring everything to boil.
- Lower heat and simmer until chicken floats (approx. 1 1/2 to 2 hours).
- Drain and reserve broth only.
- Save chicken for another use or you can shred it and put it into the soup.
- Soup: In the same stock pot, heat the vegetable oil on medium high heat and add garlic, onions, and serrano peppers, cook for a few minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, chipotles, corn tortillas, tomato paste, lemon juice, and sugar.
- Cook until the tortillas are dissolved.
- Use a blender and blend the soup when it's cooled.
- Re-heat the soup and garnish with cut up avocados, tortilla chips, sour cream, and shredded mozarella cheese.