Recipe by EDMISTON99
The thickest, creamiest, best tasting homemade Clam Chowder you've ever had. This is true five star restaurant caliber clam chowder that is remarkably easy to make and unbelievably delicious. You will have never had a better bowl of Clam Chowder outside of a restaurant environment. If you seek "stand out" recipes the way I do, you'll love this one. I generally double this recipe.
Top Review by lendube
Husband and I agreed that this is the best clam chowder recipe I've tried yet. It was delicious and is still warming my tummy! I noticed there was no salt mentioned in the recipe and it did need quite a bit. I didn't have heavy cream on hand so I used 1 cup 1/2 and 1/2 and 2 cups whole milk along with 3 tablespoons corn starch and 3 of water to make up for it. Those were the only changes. Not a low cal/low fat recipe but that's not what I was going for. It's wonderful. Thank you.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 white onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped (1-2 stalks)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon oregano
- 4 (6 1/2 ounce) canschopped clams
- 1 1⁄2 cups of the juice canned clams
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups potatoes, diced (about 2 med potatoes)
- 5 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- In an 4 quart pot, melt butter and sauté bacon over low heat until cooked, but do not brown.
- Add diced onion and celery, and sauté until tender and translucent.
- Add clam broth, white pepper, worcestershire sauce, tabasco sauce, potatoes and herbs.
- Cook approximately 13 minutes to soften potatoes and incorporate flavors.
- Add heavy cream and chopped clams. Bring to boil,.
- Mix cornstarch and water together and add, stirring briskly.