Recipe by carmenskitchen
Found online at Eating Well, I like that it uses brown rice since I'm trying to convert our household from white rice to brown. You can serve with your choice of dipping sauce and some fresh sliced mango on the side!
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup instant brown rice
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 lb 93% -lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 large red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, rinsed and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder (see Note)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 heads boston lettuce, leaves separated
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh herbs, such as cilantro, basil, mint and or chives
- 1 large carrot, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add rice; reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add turkey and ginger; cook, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until the turkey is cooked through, about 6 minutes. Stir in the cooked rice, bell pepper, water chestnuts, broth, hoisin sauce, five-spice powder and salt; cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
- 3. To serve, spoon portions of the turkey mixture into lettuce leaves, top with herbs and carrot and roll into wraps.