From Stephen Raichlen's "Primal Grill".
Make and share this Five-Spice Short Ribs With Hoisin Barbecue Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 4 lbs beef short ribs, bone in
- 2 tablespoons Chinese five spice powder
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 1⁄3 cup chinese rice wine (Shaoxing) or 1⁄3 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar (to taste)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon peeled minced ginger
- 2 scallions, white and green parts minced
- Score the meaty side of the ribs with a knife in a diamond pattern.
- Combine rub ingredients in a bowl. Rub into all sides of ribs. Refrigerate 2-4 hours.
- Prepare a charcoal grill with an indirect grill setup - put hot coals on outside of grill, leaving a cool center zone, with a drip pan in the center. Place ribs over the drip pan. Place a handful of hardwood chips on each pile of coals. Position the lid with the vent holes centered over the meat, and mostly closed to get about 250°F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine hoisin sauce, rice wine, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, ketchup, garlic, ginger and scallion. Heat over medium flame; simmer 10 minutes.
- About 15 minutes before the meat is finished, brush sauce onto meat. Meat is done when bones are exposed by about 1/4", about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.