Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Entertaining for a Veggie Planet by Didi Emmons.
Make and share this Five Spice Seitan or Tofu or Tempeh and Asparagus recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos or 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 8 ounces seitan or 8 ounces tofu or 8 ounces tempeh
- 2 tablespoons seitan juice
- 1⁄2 lb asparagus or 1⁄2 lb broccoli
- 1 small red pepper
- jasmine rice
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 2 lime wedges
- IMPORTANT NOTES: The ginger should be a rounded tablespoons Seitan should be bite size. Asparagus should be cut crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces. The pepper should be cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Use the white and green parts of the scallion and it is for garnish. Use garden fresh spring asparagus if you can get it.
- To cook the Jasamine Rice: Bring 3 cups water and a scant 1 tsp kosher salt to a boil and add 2 cups raw white jasamine rice. Cover reduce heat and cook for 15 minutes Remove and let stand covered for 10 minutes. This makes 6 cups.
- In medium bowl combine ginger, garlic, oil, Braggs, sugar and five spice.
- Add setian and liquid [if using tofu or tempeh use water instead of seitan juice] and toss to coat.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and marinate for at LEAST 2 hours and up to 3 days in the fridge. For Tofu the longer it sets the more it will taste like the marinade. You want that if you are a beginner who has not made tofu before. Trust me. You also want to marinade the tempeh for a while too. It really won't matter too much on the seitan. The basic flavor was cooked in with the broth when it was made this is just accent like a real meat marinade.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the setian along with the marinade, the asparagus and bell pepper.
- Stir fry until asparagus is bright green tender but crunchy. About 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve over the rice and garnish with the lime wedges and scallions.
- Cooking includes basic marinate time.