Recipe by SilentCricket
This recipe is posted in response to a request. When you can't find this spice in your local market spice aisle, you can make your own!
Top Review by Lise S.
I needed Five Spice Powder to make a recipe for bolognese. I used ground lamb instead of pork and five spice powder was a marriage made in heaven. I used cinnamon sticks since I had them but I didn't take the time to roast the spices beforehand. Still was a wonderful dish and will try making the pork variation to see how it goes. Only if I opened a wine with this pasta dish! Bet a dry Brachetto would be the perfect match on a warm May evening.
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 6 star anise or 2 teaspoons anise seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons szechuan peppercorns or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in blender or coffee grinder.
- Blend until finely ground.
- Store in airtight container.
- Keeps up to 2 months.
- Note: You could"roast" the whole spices a bit for a more intense flavor in a dry frying pan-- Watch closely to prevent spices from burning.