Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe is posted in response to a request. When you can't find this spice in your local market spice aisle, you can make your own!
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 6 star anise or 2 teaspoons anise seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons szechuan peppercorns or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Combine all ingredients in blender or coffee grinder.
- Blend until finely ground.
- Store in airtight container.
- Keeps up to 2 months.
- Note: You could"roast" the whole spices a bit for a more intense flavor in a dry frying pan-- Watch closely to prevent spices from burning.
I used this to make Barbequed Pork- Chinese Style Barbecued Pork--Chinese Style. I had forgotten to buy 5 spice powder while shopping and this recipe was a perfect substitute.
This is so fragrant and easy I will never purchase five spice powder again. But for keeping up to 2 months I don`t think so. It`ll be gone way before that so I`ll be doubling the recipe next time.
This spice powder is terrific. DH and I are on WW and I was looking for something to sprinkle on grilled meat. This adds a definite new taste to plain old chicken, pork, etc.