Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 hrs
A nice Chinese flavor to this pork shoulder roast.
- 3 -4 lbs pork shoulder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons five-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- hot cooked rice
- Trim fat from roasts and cut down to fit into your crockpot.
- If necessary, remove the bone.
- Rub the Five Spice Powder all over pork roast.
- Brown roast on all sides in oil.
- Place browned roasted into crockpot.
- Mix together apple juice, wine and soy sauce and pour mixture over roast.
- Cook on low for 10 hours or high for 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Cut up roast and place roast in oven to keep warm while preparing sauce.
- Strain liquid into a large measuring cup.
- Skim off fat.
- If there isn't 2 cups of liquid, add water to make up the difference.
- Next, heat liquid in a small saucepan.
- Mix together water and cornstarch; add to saucepan.
- Cook until liquid it becomes thick.
- Serve gravy over roast and rice.