Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
My husband loves grilled quail and this is the recipe he uses. I prefer to marinate 8 hours. When cooking game birds, the juices will be slightly pink when thoroughly cooked.
- 8 (5 ounce) quail
- vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- To make the marinade: In a small bowl, mix together all the marinated ingredients.
- Put the quail in a large heavy-duty plastic zip-top bag.
- Pour in the marinade (if one bag isn't big enough, then use two bags and divide the marinade).
- Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly.
- Shake gently to distribute the marinade.
- Refrigerate 1-8 hours and turn occasionally.
- Take the quail out of the bag and throw away marinade.
- Pat quail dry with paper towels.
- Lightly brush the quail with vegetable oil.
- In a small bowl, add all the seasoning blend ingredients; stir to combine.
- Sprinkle seasoning blend over quail.
- Grill with breast side down over INDIRECT medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until the juices are slightly pink (turn once halfway through grill time).
love this, we eat it every thanksgiving, little bird big bird. yum
Very tasty and easy to prepare. Grilling over charcoal made it perfect.