Prep 10 mins
Cook 14 mins
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb flank steak, trimmed of visible fat
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees.
- Coat a cast-iron skillet with cooking spray and place in the oven while preparing the spice rub.
- Combine the sugar, five-spice powder, garlic powder and salt in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle half the mixture evenly over the surface of the steak, then pat or rub it into the meat.
- Turn the steak over, and repeat on the second side.
- Place the steak in the hot cast-iron skillet.
- Cook 6 to 7 minutes on each side, depending on desired degree of doneness.
- Remove the steak from the oven, and let it rest on the carving board for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Cut it across the grain on the diagonal in thin strips.