Recipe by Vino Girl
This recipe calls for boneless chicken breasts WITH the skin on. This is a quick recipe- Most of the prep/cook time is just spent allowing the chicken to marinate. While this recipe uses the grill, I don't see why you can't do it on the stove top or under the broiler with a little modification. From Cooking Light.
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Chinese five spice powder
- 4 (6 ounce) boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup ice
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine water, kosher salt, 3 Tbsp brown sugar, and 2 Tbsp soy sauce in a large bowl and stir until salt and sugar have dissolved.
- Stir in 2 Tbsp five-spice powder.
- Pour mixture into a large ziplock bag.
- Rinse chicken with cold water.
- Place chicken and ice in bag with the salt mixture.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours, turning several times.
- Remove chicken from bag and pat dry with paper towels.
- Discard the brine/marinade.
- Combine hoisin sauce, sesame oil, ginger, 1 1/2 tsp brown sugar, 1 1/2 tsp soy sauce, and 1/4 tsp five-spice powder in a small bowl.
- Heat one side of the grill to medium and leave the other side turned off.
- Place chicken, skin side down, on grill rack coated with cooking spray.
- Close lid and grill for 8 minutes on each side, brushing it occasionally with the hoisin sauce mixture.
- Place chicken skin side up on the unheated side of the grill; brush again.
- Grill an extra 5 minutes or until done.
- Discard skin and serve.