Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Chinese Favorites recipe booklet from the grocery store. Haven't tried yet.
- 1 lb boneless beef top sirloin steak
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 4 medium carrots, cut into matchstick sized pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup honey roasted peanuts
- Cut steak lengthwise in half, then crosswise into thin strips. Place beef in shallow glass baking dish. Combine soy sauce and 2 tablespoons cornstarch in small bowl. Pour soy sauce mixture over beef, toss to coat thoroughly. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil 1 minute in large nonstick skillet or wok over high heat until hot. Add carrots. Stir-fry 3 to 4 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove carrots and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-high. Add 1 tablespoon oil, bell peppers, onion and red pepper flakes; stir-fry 4 minutes or until onions are translucent. Remove vegetables and set aside separately from carrots.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Add half of the beef; stir-fry 2 minutes or until beef is barely pink in center. Remove beef to large bowl. Repeat with the remaining beef.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine water, brown sugar, bouillon granules, five-spice powder and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch; stir until smooth.
- Add bouillon mixture, bell peppers and onions to skillet; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Toss rice with carrots; place on serving platter. Spoon beef mixture over rice and sprinkle peanuts over beef mixture.