4 hrs 15 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
In 'Williams-Sonoma Soup of the Day'
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 lbs beef sirloin tip, cut into strips 1/2 inch thick and 3 inches long
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 1 piece fresh ginger, unpeeled, 1 inch long, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1/2 lb daikon radish, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 green onions, white and tender green parts, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 5 -6 leaves napa cabbage, cut crosswise into strips 2 inches wide
- 1In a large, heavy pot, warm the oil over med-high heat.
- 2Working in batches, add the beef strips and brown well on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch.
- 3Transfer to a bowl.
- 4Add the broth and stir to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot.
- 5Return the meat to the pot.
- 6Add the soy sauce, sherry, ginger, five-spice powder, daikon, and green onions.
- 7Bring to a simmer, decrease heat to med-low, cover, and simmer until the meat fall apart when tested with a fork, about 3 hours.
- 8Using a large spoon, skim the fat from the surface of the stew.
- 9Add the cabbage, cover, and simmer over med-low heat until the cabbage is very soft and wilted but not mushy, about 30 minutes longer.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Five-Spice Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 47.5
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 977.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
beef sirloin tip
Chinese five spice powder