Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Make and share this Five-Spice Beef and Pepper Stir-Fry recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups jasmine rice, prepared according to package directions
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef sirloin, trimmed, sliced, and cut into bite-size pieces (may use beef tenderloin tips)
- 2 medium green bell peppers, diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, coarsely diced
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1⁄2 cup smoked whole almond
- Boil water for rice and prepare to package directions.
- Add beef broth to a small pan over low heat to warm the broth.
- Heat a wok-shaped skillet over high heat; add oil (it will smoke) and beef pieces; stir-fry for 3 minutes, then remove meat from pan.
- Return pan to heat and add peppers and onions; stir-fry 2 minutes, and then stir the meat back into the pan.
- Add in sherry and stir-fry until liquid almost evaporates, about 1 minute.
- Add in tamari; dissolve cornstarch with a ladle of warm beef broth; add beef broth to the pan, then the cornstarch combined with broth, the five-spice powder, and black pepper.
- Stir until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Adjust seasonings to taste; add more tamari or salt if necessary.
- Remove from heat; fill dinner bowls with beef stir-fry; with an ice cream scoop, place a nicely rounded scoop of rice on top of beef.
- Garnish with chopped scallions and smoked almonds.