1 hr 15 mins
This is a recipe I found on www.stiltoncheese.com I haven't tried it, but thought to myself if I don't save it here I'll forget about it or it'll disappear into the internet aether. Its a recipe served at the Hurricane Restaurant, in Ogunquit, Maine. Because its best when chilled overnight it's perfect if you want something that you can prepare in advance.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium Spanish onions, sliced
- 2 large red onions, sliced
- 4 leeks, white part only, julienned and washed thoroughly
- 1 bunch spring onions or 1 bunch scallion, white part and 1 inch green, cut on the bias
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 1/4 liters strong chicken stock
- 75 ml brandy
- 60 ml whiskey
- 110 g unsalted butter
- 125 ml double cream
- white pepper
- 6 -8 sheets pastry dough (five inch square)
- 50 g crumbled Stilton cheese
- 1Slowly melt butter in a pan with a heavy bottom.
- 2Add the Spanish and red onions.
- 3Fry on a low heat until they start to caramelize.
- 4Add the leeks and shallots and continue to fry saute until just starting to be soft.
- 5Pour in the chicken stock, brandy and whiskey and bring everything to a boil.
- 6Turn the heat heat down and allow to simmer for sixty minutes.
- 7Take the pan off the hobb and add the spring onions/scallions Allow to cool a little and stir in the cream slowly.
- 8Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 9If you can allow to cool completely and refrigerate the soup over night for extra flavour.
- 10Be careful when reheating, keep the heat low and keep stirring to avoid the soup burning.
- 11To serve pour the reheated soup into ovenproof crocks or bowls.
- 12Stretch the puff pastry squares slowly to cover the bowl/crock and fold over the edges to seal.
- 13Divide the Stilton into four portions and sprinkle over the top of the pastry.
- 14In a preheated oven (180°C/350°F/Gas 4) bake until the pastry is starting to puff up and brown and the cheese has melted, approx 20-25 minutes (make sure you keep an eye on it, to stop it from burning, as this time is estimated).
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Five Onion Soup With Stilton Crust
Serving Size: 1 (986 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2169.5
- Calories from Fat 1183
- Total Fat 131.5 g
- Saturated Fat 47.2 g
- Cholesterol 121.6 mg
- Sodium 2068.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 162.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.3 g
- Sugars 14.6 g
- Protein 30.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: