Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
French Onion Soup is one of my favorite foods. This is a recipe I have made time and time again since 1994. It is one of the best Onion Soup recipes I have ever tried..homemade or from a restaurant!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 leek, white and pale green parts chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2⁄3 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted for topping
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced for topping
- 4 slices French bread, for topping
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated for topping
- 4 slices swiss cheese, for topping
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese, for topping
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add shallots, all onions and leek; saute until golden, about 15 minutes.
- Add 1 T. garlic and cloves; saute 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and Sherry, bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Preheat broiler.
- Combine 2 T. melted butter and 1 t. garlic in a small bowl.
- Place bread on baking sheet and brush with half of garlic butter.
- Broil bread until lightly toasted; about 2 minutes. Turn over and repeat this step.
- Sprinkle bread with parmesan cheese.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Ladle soup into oven safe bowls.
- Top each bowl with 1 toasted bread slice, 1 slice of swiss and 1 slice of mozzarella.
- Bake until soup is hot and cheese melts; about 10 minutes.
I love to make soup! I have been searching for the greatest onion soup ever recipe. This was a very nice onion soup, just not the one I am searching for. It could be a bit stronger in the beef broth, perhaps. I served the bread cheese portion to the family, that went over perfectly, will use that part again. For me, needing gluten-free, no bread. I just laid the cheese atop the very hot soup in my bowl and it melted nicely. I think originally the reason the bread was under the cheese was to give it a raft!