Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe is courtesy of Heidi Swanson at 101cookbooks.com, and it makes some of the best pizza sauce I've ever had! It also works well with a variety of pastas, as breadstick dip, or just about anything else you could need tomato sauce for.
- Combine the olive oil, red pepper flakes, sea salt, and garlic in a cold saucepan.
- Stir while you heat the mixture over medium-high heat, saute just 45 seconds or so until everything is fragrant - you don't want the garlic to brown.
- Stir in the tomatoes and heat to a gentle simmer, this takes just a couple minutes.
- Remove from heat and carefully take a taste (you don't want to burn your tongue) -- If the sauce needs more salt add it now.
- Stir in the lemon zest, and that's it! Simple, quick, and delicious.