Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is courtesy of Heidi Swanson at 101cookbooks.com, and it makes some of the best pizza sauce I've ever had! It also works well with a variety of pastas, as breadstick dip, or just about anything else you could need tomato sauce for.
- Combine the olive oil, red pepper flakes, sea salt, and garlic in a cold saucepan.
- Stir while you heat the mixture over medium-high heat, saute just 45 seconds or so until everything is fragrant - you don't want the garlic to brown.
- Stir in the tomatoes and heat to a gentle simmer, this takes just a couple minutes.
- Remove from heat and carefully take a taste (you don't want to burn your tongue) -- If the sauce needs more salt add it now.
- Stir in the lemon zest, and that's it! Simple, quick, and delicious.