Recipe by Kree
Okay, so this takes a little more than 5 minutes, but I think the title refers to the ease of preparing the pie filling. This recipe comes from "Heather Cooks!" with Heather Van Vorous, although I changed the spices slightly to fit my tastes. It's low-fat and dairy-free, so it's great for people with IBS or anyone looking for a delicious and healthy alternative to the usual fatty pumpkin pie! I took it to my family's Thanksgiving dinner this year, and it was a huge success.
Top Review by lauralie41
A light pumpkin taste with just the right amount of spices. The graham cracker crust has a bit of a nutty flavor and goes well with the pumpkin filling. A very yummy low fat and dairy free pie. Thank you Kree!
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely crushed graham crackers or 1 1⁄2 cups dry plain breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 1⁄2 cups soymilk (I use VitaSoy)
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 organic egg whites (or 1/2 cup Egg Beaters)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9-inch pie plate lightly with cooking oil spray.
- For the crust: Combine the crumbs and oil in a small bowl until well blended.
- Press mixture firmly and evenly into prepared pie plate, across the bottom and just slightly up the sides.
- Spray crumb surface lightly with cooking oil spray.
- Bake for 5-8 minutes, until just golden brown around edges.
- Remove from oven; raise oven temperature to 425 degrees F while you make filling.
- For the filling: Combine all filling ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until very smooth.
- Alternately, combine all ingredients in a large bowl and whisk by hand until smooth.
- Pour filling into baked crust (crust does not have to be cool).
- Bake for 425 degrees F for 15 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for an additional 35-45 minutes, until a knife inserted into the center of the pie comes out clean.
- Cool pie on a rack.