Recipe by Chef Dee
Delicious butter toffee flavor. These bars are so simple to made, and inexpensive. Makes a med. cookie sheet.
Top Review by Mustang Sally 54269
I've made a version of this recipe a few times but mine didn't call for slivered almonds, nice change. It doesn't say but I think this recipe tastes better when you use salted crackers. I also find I need to boil my sugar/butter mixture more than 5 mins in order to get the toffee/soft ball stage consistancy. To save the cookie sheet (& using extra oil) I line it with parchment paper, however, if you like the toffee more on the crispy side you may want to increase the time &/or temp for the oven also. I've always enjoyed this recipe & even made it for a x-mas cookie exchange. It's quick easy & tasty.
- 36 crackers, Christie Toppables
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄8 cup slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line a med. cookie sheet with foil, then spray the foil with cooking spray.
- Lay the crackers flat on the foil, covering it as completely as you can. You may substitute with Keebler crackers, or even soda crackers. It doesn't matter if they fit tightly together.
- Sprinkle the slivered almonds over top.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, then add the brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil, the cook over med. heat for 5 min's.
- Remove from heat, add 1 teaspoons vanilla, then pour the mixture over the crackers in the pan.
- Bake at 350 for 5 min's.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with choc. chips. This is optional, as the bars are delicious without the chocolate.
- Cool, and slice.