Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Quick and easy. Tasty alternative to traditional beef stew.
- 2 lbs lean stew meat
- 3 carrots, diced large
- 3 stalks celery, diced large
- 2 potatoes, diced large
- 1⁄2 green pepper
- 1⁄2 onion, diced large
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes
- 0.5 (14 1/2 ounce) can water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons pearl tapioca
- Mix ingredients well in dutch oven and cover.
- Bake at 300 degrees for five hours.
- Do not peek.
- (I confess I do peek at about four hours to see if it's tender and thick enough!).
Easy and delicious. I made this for my aunt who is on a low salt diet and it was a big hit. I substituted frozen peas for the green peppers, but didn't add them until 30 minutes before serving.
Great recipe. I altered it a bit to suit my own needs. I added 5 cloves of garlic chopped, fresh rosemary, and 1/2 cup of red wine instead of the water. I also cooked it in a crockpot. I cooked it slow for about 6 hours. It's very hearty and I liked the idea of cutting the vegi's BIG, it adds to the heartiness!!! DLA Concord, CA.