Prep 5 mins
Cook 22 mins
From Food Stamps/SNAP-Ed Recipe Finder. Per Recipe: $ 3.76 Per Serving: $ 0.75 I added a dash pf sesame oil. You could add leftover chicken or ham, baby corn, zucchini...
- 10 cups water
- 1 lb egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided (or vegetable oil)
- 3 cups bean sprouts
- 1 cup bamboo shoot, julienned (sliced thinly in strips)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄2 cup dried shiitake mushroom, soaked, stems removed, and julienned
- 2 green onions, julienned
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1. In a large pot on high heat, bring 10 cups of water to boil. Cook noodles in boiling water until tender or “al-dente,” approximately 5 - 7 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Heat a nonstick wok or pan over high heat. Add 1/2 tablespoon oil, swirling to coat the pan, add noodles and pan-fry until noodles are golden, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove noodles from wok.
- Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil to wok, add vegetables, and stir-fry until just cooked, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Return noodles to the wok, add salt, sugar and soy sauce.
- Stir to combine and serve.
I haven't tried frying noodles before and nearly missed that piece in the directions, happily picked up on it in time! Hmm, nice, we really all enjoyed this, definitely a do-again! I used asian egg noodles, and I also used only sesame oil, preferring that for Asian cookery. As per your suggestion, I did add some different veggies, catering for personal taste and what was in the fridge, so we had red onion, zucchini and some sweetcorn in addition to the carrots.
Nice and easy, all prep done beforehand and quickly prepared in my electric wok. Thank you, Liszard, lovely recipe, made for PAC Fall 2011