Recipe by Derf
Quick and easy--we make it often. Freeze well and very nice toasted. (if you don't have all the flours, use a combination of what you have to make a total of 3 1/4 cups). From The Lighthearted Cookbook by Anne Lindsay.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup rye flour
- 3⁄4 cup graham flour
- 3⁄4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons soft margarine or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 3⁄4 cups buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- In bowl, combine all purpose, whole wheat, rye, graham flours and rolled oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in margarine until well mixed.
- Stir in raisins, if using, add buttermilk and stir to make soft dough.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead about 10 times or until smooth.
- Place on greased baking sheet, flatten into circle about 2 1/2 inches thick.
- Cut a large "x" about 1/4 inch deep on top.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.