Cook1 hr 30 mins
I just tried this cake for the first time at funeral in Chicago. After the first bite, I went in search of the cook and talked her out of the recipe. All those different extracts may sound strange, but trust me it is wonderful! At the bottom I have included Six Flavor Pound Cake and Seven Flavor Pound Cake variations. Also, you can make a 5 flavor cake with a 6 flavor glaze or any other combination.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon butter flavor extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter flavor extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease a 10-inch tube or Bundt cake pan.
- In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a measuring cup, combine the milk and 1 teaspoon of each of the 5 extracts; set aside.
- In mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening and 3 cups of sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat until smooth.
- Beat in flour mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until cake tests done.
- Let cake cool for 5 minutes and then pour 1/2 of glaze over cake (while still in pan).
- Let sit for another 5 minutes and then turn cake out of pan onto wire rack (with waxed paper under rack to catch drippings).
- Slowly spoon remaining glaze onto top of hot cake.
- Cool completely before serving.
- To make the Five Flavor Glaze: In saucepan, combine 1/2 cup sugar, water and 1/2 teaspoon of each of the 5 extracts.
- Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Variations: Six Flavor Cake/Glaze: Add 1 teaspoon of almond extract to Five Flavor Cake ingredients and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract to Five Flavor Glaze ingredients.
- Seven Flavor Cake/Glaze: Add 1 teaspoon pineapple flavored extract to Six Flavor Cake and 1/2 teaspoon pineapple flavored extract to Six Flavor Glaze.