Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a treat! It's colourful, flavourful and wonderful served hot. To me, it is a meal by itself. This is from Chef Sanjeev Kapoor.
- 354.88 ml basmati rice, cleaned and washed
- 2 medium onions, peeled,washed and thinly sliced
- 1 medium fresh carrot, peeled,washed and diced
- 6-8 French beans, washed and diced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, washed,de-seeded and cut into half-inch size pieces
- 8-10 cauliflower florets, washed,drained and chopped small
- 59.14 ml frozen green peas, washed and defrosted
- 44.37 ml oil or 44.37 ml ghee
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 4 green cardamoms
- 4 cloves
- 5-6 black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 4.92 ml cumin seed
- 768.91 ml water, to cook rice
- Soak rice in 4 cups of water for 30 minutes.
- Heat ghee or oil in a skillet on medium flame.
- Add cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, whole black peppercorns, bay leaves and cumin seeds.
- Stir-fry briefly.
- Add onions.
- Saute for 3 minutes or until translucent.
- Add carrots, French beans, cauliflower and greenpeas.
- Cook for a minute, stirring continuosly.
- Add 3 1/4 cups of water and salt to taste.
- Cook till the water starts boiling.
- Stir in the rice.
- Cook, uncovered, on medium flame, for 4 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- Stir in the bell pepper and reduce heat to medium.
- Cover with a lid.
- Cook for 8 minutes or until the rice and veggies are cooked.
- Remove from heat.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.
I really liked this recipe because of the variety of colors & veggies. It has a wonderful aroma! I really appreciate your comments about the spices, tinala. Keeping what you said in mind, I used 12 green cardamom pods, 6 bay leaves, 12 cloves, and 2 cinnamon sticks (each approx 3 1/2 " long). I also used 1 tsp ground cumin instead of seed and 3/4 tsp ground peppercorns. When the rice and veggies were almost cooked (Step 16), I tasted the pilaf several times and decided it needed more spices. I then added ground cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, cumin, and curry powder. Next time I make this I will double all the spices and use only ground spices(except for the bay leaves). I will also add 1 tsp. curry powder. Thanks for a great recipe!
Made this tonight for dinner and it was very good. I used ground spices instead of the whole and I doubled the spice as it was a little bland. I also added Curry powder, made it so much better! Thanks for a great recipe.