Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a treat! It's colourful, flavourful and wonderful served hot. To me, it is a meal by itself. This is from Chef Sanjeev Kapoor.
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice, cleaned and washed
- 2 medium onions, peeled,washed and thinly sliced
- 1 medium fresh carrot, peeled,washed and diced
- 6 -8 French beans, washed and diced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, washed,de-seeded and cut into half-inch size pieces
- 8 -10 cauliflower florets, washed,drained and chopped small
- 1⁄4 cup frozen green peas, washed and defrosted
- 3 tablespoons oil or 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 4 green cardamoms
- 4 cloves
- 5 -6 black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3 1⁄4 cups water, to cook rice
- Soak rice in 4 cups of water for 30 minutes.
- Heat ghee or oil in a skillet on medium flame.
- Add cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, whole black peppercorns, bay leaves and cumin seeds.
- Stir-fry briefly.
- Add onions.
- Saute for 3 minutes or until translucent.
- Add carrots, French beans, cauliflower and greenpeas.
- Cook for a minute, stirring continuosly.
- Add 3 1/4 cups of water and salt to taste.
- Cook till the water starts boiling.
- Stir in the rice.
- Cook, uncovered, on medium flame, for 4 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- Stir in the bell pepper and reduce heat to medium.
- Cover with a lid.
- Cook for 8 minutes or until the rice and veggies are cooked.
- Remove from heat.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.