Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A lowfat, low calorie vegan chili that gives lots of protein and tastes nice at the same time.
Make and share this Five Bean Vegetarian Chili recipe from Food.com.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 yellow bell peppers, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) package lentils
- 1 (16 ounce) can black-eyed peas
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet chili seasoning mix
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (with liquid)
- 36 ounces water (2 tomato cans filled)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained
- 3 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
- In a large kettle, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add onions, garlic and peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally 8 to 10 minutes until vegetables are soft and fragrant.
- While vegetables are cooking, rinse lentils in a colander under running water. Add lentils and remaining ingredients to kettle.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occauntil lentils are tender and chili is rich and thick.
- Taste mixture for seasonings. If spicier chili is desired, add additional Tabasco sauce.
- Serve with hot corn tortillas.
I cook for 50 pregnant and new moms and this recipe always gets tons of compliments. Plus when I make it at home my kids love it. Thanks