Gillian Spence's Note:
A lowfat, low calorie vegan chili that gives lots of protein and tastes nice at the same time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 yellow bell peppers, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) package lentils
- 1 (16 ounce) can black-eyed peas
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet chili seasoning mix
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (with liquid)
- 36 ounces water (2 tomato cans filled)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained
- 3 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
- 1In a large kettle, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add onions, garlic and peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally 8 to 10 minutes until vegetables are soft and fragrant.
- 2While vegetables are cooking, rinse lentils in a colander under running water. Add lentils and remaining ingredients to kettle.
- 3Bring to a boil and simmer 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occauntil lentils are tender and chili is rich and thick.
- 4Taste mixture for seasonings. If spicier chili is desired, add additional Tabasco sauce.
- 5Serve with hot corn tortillas.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Five Bean Vegetarian Chili
Serving Size: 1 (350 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 182.3
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1142.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 9.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chili seasoning mix