Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I am the third generation using this wonderful recipe. It is soooo simple and delicious. Its not overly oily like most are. Overnight chilling time not included in preparation time.
- 425.24 g can green beans
- 425.24 g can wax beans
- 425.24 g can lima beans
- 425.24 g can kidney beans
- 425.24 g can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 1 onion, chopped (I add the next day about an hour before serving, other wise it seems too strong)
- 1 green pepper, chopped (my grandmother's recipe calls for this but we never put it in as we don't care for it)
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil
- 118.29 ml vinegar
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml pepper
- 4.92 ml dry mustard
- 4.92-9.85 ml celery seed
- Drain all the beans and combine in a large bowl.
- Heat (but do not boil) (I do it in the microwave for about 1 minute) vegetable oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, dry mustard, and celery seed.
- Mix with bean mix and let stand overnight.
- Add onion/pepper about an hour before serving.
This is my "go-to" recipe whenever I crave bean salad!....What I have done so that it's easy to remember,I use 1/2 a cup of each the oil,vinegar and sugar and 1 teaspoon each of the salt,pepper,mustard and celery seed....I omit the green pepper and if I happen to have lima beans on hand,I'll add them otherwise I omit them....Today I've decided to omit the onion as well;However it's all good!....A good basic recipe....Thanks for posting!
A great salad, it disappeared very quickly :-) Thanks for posting. Following other reviews used less than a quarter cup of sugar, also used only 1/4 cup of oil and that worked well for us.
A wonderful recipe, just like my grandmother made. But watch the sugar! 3/4 C is very very sweet...1/3 to 1/2 C works for my family. Using fresh green and wax beans cooked to just crisp puts a lot of summer into it. No leftovers with this salad.