Recipe by carlanna livingstone
I am the third generation using this wonderful recipe. It is soooo simple and delicious. Its not overly oily like most are. Overnight chilling time not included in preparation time.
Top Review by Boyz 5
This is my "go-to" recipe whenever I crave bean salad!....What I have done so that it's easy to remember,I use 1/2 a cup of each the oil,vinegar and sugar and 1 teaspoon each of the salt,pepper,mustard and celery seed....I omit the green pepper and if I happen to have lima beans on hand,I'll add them otherwise I omit them....Today I've decided to omit the onion as well;However it's all good!....A good basic recipe....Thanks for posting!
- 425.24 g can green beans
- 425.24 g can wax beans
- 425.24 g can lima beans
- 425.24 g can kidney beans
- 425.24 g can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 1 onion, chopped (I add the next day about an hour before serving, other wise it seems too strong)
- 1 green pepper, chopped (my grandmother's recipe calls for this but we never put it in as we don't care for it)
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil
- 118.29 ml vinegar
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml pepper
- 4.92 ml dry mustard
- 4.92-9.85 ml celery seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain all the beans and combine in a large bowl.
- Heat (but do not boil) (I do it in the microwave for about 1 minute) vegetable oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, dry mustard, and celery seed.
- Mix with bean mix and let stand overnight.
- Add onion/pepper about an hour before serving.