Recipe by Sharon123
Oh no, not another carrot cake! Honest, I wouldn't have submitted this if it wasn't absolutely fantastic!!!! I got this from the Silver Palate Cookbook. The carrots are pureed, not shredded. What a difference it makes!
Top Review by pennypacker6
This is my all time favorite recipe for carrot cake. I have used it for wedding cakes and get a lot of requests for it. I find that it usually takes longer to cook - about 40 - 45 minutes and I usually need to use 3 pans. It is delicious
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn oil
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups shelled walnuts, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 1⁄3 cups pureed cooked carrots
- 3⁄4 cup drained crushed pineapple
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons sweet butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Grease two 9 inch layer cake pans lined with wax paper.
- (I use a 9x12 pan).
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Add oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Beat well.
- Fold in walnuts, coconut, carrots and pineapple.
- Pour batter into the prepared pans.
- Set on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until edges have pulled away from sides and a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on a cake rack for 3 hour.
- Fill cake and frost sides with cream cheese frosting.
- Dust top with confectioners' sugar.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: Cream together cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl.
- Slowly sift in confectioners' sugar and continue beating until fully incorporated.
- Mixture should be free of lumps.
- Stir in vanilla, and lemon juice of you use it.
- Frosts a 2 layer cake.