Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a traditional Norwegian recipe.
Make and share this Fiskesuppe (Norwegian Fish Chowder) recipe from Food.com.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded chopped
- 1 small leek, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 medium carrots, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large parsnip, peeled chopped
- 1 small celeriac, peeled chopped
- 4 medium new potatoes, peeled cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 cups fish stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 lbs boneless skinless fish fillets, cut into 2 inch pieces (halibut, cod or haddock)
- 1⁄3 cup dill, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- crusty bread, for serving
- Heat butter in a 6 qt saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, celery, onions, peppers, and leeks, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring, until soft, 8-10 minutes. Add carrots, parsnips, celeriac, potatoes, stock, milk, cream, and Worcestershire; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Add fish, and continue to cook, stirring gently, until fish is cooked through, 6-8 minutes. Stir in dill, parsley, lemon juice, and salt and pepper.
- Serve with bread.