Recipe by LeahMarie
Recipe from the National Examiner. Sounds really tasty. Not sure about the prep or cooking time, so I am guessing. Can't wait to try this!
- 2 tablespoons diced salt pork or 1 slice bacon
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 finely chopped celery
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups clam juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup chopped canned clams
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 drops Tabasco sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bread, bowl
Directions See How It's Made
- Place salt pork or bacon in a pot and cook 2 minutes over medium heat until crisp.
- Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion and celery and saute over medium-low heat for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent and celery softens.
- Sprinkle flour over the mixture and stir into a paste.
- Add clam juice, potato and thyme.
- Increase heat and bring ingredients to a boil.
- Reduce to low and simmer for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Add clams and stir in cream.
- Continue to simmer for 5 minutes until thick and creamy.
- Add salt, pepper and Tabasco sauce.
- Spoon the chowder into the bread bowl and garnish with salt pork or bacon.
- Serve hot.