- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup minced shallots or 1⁄2 cup onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb grouper or 1 lb other firm white fish fillet, cut into 5 pieces
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add shallots and bell pepper; cook 5 minutes.
- Add wine and next 6 ingredients (wine through bay leaf); bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Nestle fish into tomato mixture; top with mussels. Cover and cook 8 minutes; gently shake pan twice to stir mussels (do not lift cover).
- Discard any unopened shells and bay leaf. Sprinkle with parsley.