Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This Sandwich really has nothing to do with fish, except that I used to make this when we would go out fishing - it was easy and could feed a crowd of many - hmmmm loaves and fishes?
- 1 round loaf Italian bread (12-16-inch diameter)
- 1⁄4 lb capicola
- 1⁄4 lb deli turkey (santa fe style at the deli)
- 1⁄4 lb honey-roasted ham
- 1⁄4 lb genoa salami
- 1⁄4 lb smoked turkey
- 1⁄3 lb cheddar cheese (horseradish)
- 1⁄4 lb swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 lb provolone cheese
- 1⁄3 lb monterey jack pepper cheese
- 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard (any hot coarse mustard)
- Cut the top of your bread 1/2" down saving the top. Scoop out the inside of your bread to 1/4" of bread left inside. Spread your mustard around all sides of the bread including the top.
- Layer your meats and chesses alternately, using a mild cheese and a stronger deli meat i.e. swiss and capacoli go well together. Make sure to run your layers all the way up the sides of the bread. Your top layer should be cheese.
- Place the top back on your sandwich and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Allow 3-4 hours or overnight to set up in the fridge.
- Cut into wedges as you would a cake. No mess eating!
Had this for lunch made mini-style with individual kaiser rolls instead of the large round loaf. Really liked the idea and make-ahead convenience. Very reminiscent of a mufaletta. Next time I'll opt for some other toppings. Maybe some onions and spinach or parsley and a little dressing. It was a tad dry but easily fixed when unwrapped. Taking part of the bread out of the inside was great. More sandwich! lol Made for Daffy Daffodils ZWT4
This was really yummy. I made it just as directed and it turned out great. Made for a great lunch! Made for ZWT4 for the Tastebud Tickling Travellers.
I baked Recipe #298335 in a loose round to use in this sandwich. As there were only two of us I did have to adapt the instructions somewhat. I used a mixture of sliced meats; smoked ham & turkey, and two cheeses; provolone & pepper jack. This is a great idea for a "travel" sandwich. Made for ZWT4.