Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a killer recipe for you seafood lovers. I've never had a restaurant chowder as good as this. This can be a little pricy, but I HIGHLY recommend it. You will gets lots of "hmmmmmmmmms" around the table!
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, cut in small pieces
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced raw potato
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) canchopped clams, with liquid
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 cup crab legs or 1 cup imitation crabmeat
- 1 cup shrimp
- 1 cup scallops, halved/quartered (Any other shellfish you like)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk (I like to use a portion of Half & Half and balance with milk)
- 1⁄3 cup instant mashed potatoes, to thicken
- In a heavy soup pot or kettle, brown the bacon for 5 minutes.
- Add the paprika, onion and potato, sautéing until potato and onions are soft and bacon is cooked.
- Add the clams, wine, crab legs, shrimp, scallops and any other seafood or fish.
- Season with salt and pepper, bay leaf and thyme.
- Stir in the milk and heat over low flame, stirring constantly.
- Do not allow mixture to boil.
- When seafood and fish are thoroughly heated through, thicken chowder by adding instant potatoes.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.
- Chowder may be prepared ahead, refrigerated, then reheated in a crock pot or over very low heat.
I was a little worried about the potatoes after reading the other review so I put them in with the bacon right away. They were done perfectly. I left out the clams and crab because I didn't have them, but did use some bottled clam juice and more shrimp and scallops. I also had to use more instant potatoes. My son (who won't eat scallops) asked me to make it again tonight! Not a bad idea! We LOVED it! Three of us finished it with no problem and were looking for more. Thanks for a great recipe!
The flavor it 5 star all the way. I did have some trouble getting the potatoes done so next time I will parboil them before adding them to the pot. I also needed to use more instant potatos than called for but I suspect that is just a difference between products and I got 4 servings out of it instead of 8. I will definitely make this again.