A colorful fish dish from Brazil. This recipe will work with sustainable fish like tilapia or turbot. Be sure to use coconut milk to achieve the proper thickness. Coconut water will be too thin and cream of coconut is too thick. Adapted from "The Brazilian Kitchen" by Leticia Moreinos Schwartz.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped fine
- 10 shallots, minced and divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped fine
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh gingerroot, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups fish stock or 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 sole fillets, 6 oz each
- 1 cup flour, for dredging
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1In a large skillet, over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons oil, chopped peppers, half the shallots, and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- 2Add half the garlic and cook one minute; season with thyme, salt and pepper, stir.
- 3In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, add remaining tablespoon of oil, remaining shallots, and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add remaining garlic and ginger, stirring.
- 5Add the wine and bring to a boil; reduce heat and cook until the liquid has reduced by 3/4 then add the fish or chicken stock.
- 6Increase heat and add the coconut milk, stir; reduce heat to medium and cook until the sauce thickens, stirring frequently.
- 7Strain, discard solids, season with salt and pepper; keep warm.
- 8Meanwhile, pat fish dry with a paper towel, season on both sides with salt and pepper; lightly dredge in flour.
- 9In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat, add fish and cook until golden, about 2 to 3 minutes; carefully turn over and cook until golden on the other side.
- 10To serve, place a fillet on a plate, top with warm pepper mixture, spoon sauce around the fish.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fish With Coconut Ginger Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (482 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 630.6
- Calories from Fat 289
- Total Fat 32.1 g
- Saturated Fat 17.4 g
- Cholesterol 94.3 mg
- Sodium 316.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 40.0 g