Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Tulsi Aur Anardana Macchi (fish with basil and pomegranate seeds). This recipe is from Fire and Spice by Joyce Westrip.
- 3 large red chilies
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 inch gingerroot
- 29.58 ml lime juice or 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 4.92 ml turmeric powder
- 4-6 white fish fillets
- flour, for coating
- 59.16 ml vegetable oil
- 2 inch gingerroot, grated
- 9.85 ml garlic, finely chopped
- 9.85 ml cumin seeds, dry-roasted
- 44.37 ml pomegranate seeds
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 29.58 ml basil leaves, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Mix the garlic chili, ginger, and lemon or lime juice into a paste.
- Then mix in the turmeric powder.
- Coat fish fillets with paste and let sit for 30 minutes.
- In a heavy-bottomed frying pan, heat the oil.
- Sieve the flour lightly over the fillets and fry on both sides until golden (2 - 3 minutes).
- Place on a serving dish and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Reserve cooking oil.
- If needed, add one tablespoon oil to the reserved oil and heat.
- Add ginger, garlic, cumin and pomegranate seeds.
- Stir-fry 1 minute then add the tomatoes, basil, coriander leaves and salt.
- Simmer gently for 2 minutes and pour over the fillets.