Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Tulsi Aur Anardana Macchi (fish with basil and pomegranate seeds). This recipe is from Fire and Spice by Joyce Westrip.
- 3 large red chilies
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 inches gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons lime juice or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4 -6 white fish fillets
- flour, for coating
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 inches gingerroot, grated
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, dry-roasted
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Mix the garlic chili, ginger, and lemon or lime juice into a paste.
- Then mix in the turmeric powder.
- Coat fish fillets with paste and let sit for 30 minutes.
- In a heavy-bottomed frying pan, heat the oil.
- Sieve the flour lightly over the fillets and fry on both sides until golden (2 - 3 minutes).
- Place on a serving dish and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Reserve cooking oil.
- If needed, add one tablespoon oil to the reserved oil and heat.
- Add ginger, garlic, cumin and pomegranate seeds.
- Stir-fry 1 minute then add the tomatoes, basil, coriander leaves and salt.
- Simmer gently for 2 minutes and pour over the fillets.