Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Tulsi Aur Anardana Macchi (fish with basil and pomegranate seeds). This recipe is from Fire and Spice by Joyce Westrip.
- 3 large red chilies
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 inches gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons lime juice or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4 -6 white fish fillets
- flour, for coating
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 inches gingerroot, grated
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, dry-roasted
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Mix the garlic chili, ginger, and lemon or lime juice into a paste.
- Then mix in the turmeric powder.
- Coat fish fillets with paste and let sit for 30 minutes.
- In a heavy-bottomed frying pan, heat the oil.
- Sieve the flour lightly over the fillets and fry on both sides until golden (2 - 3 minutes).
- Place on a serving dish and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Reserve cooking oil.
- If needed, add one tablespoon oil to the reserved oil and heat.
- Add ginger, garlic, cumin and pomegranate seeds.
- Stir-fry 1 minute then add the tomatoes, basil, coriander leaves and salt.
- Simmer gently for 2 minutes and pour over the fillets.