Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Tourists in the local fish market often reject the fish head with a shudder, but local people pounce on it, knowing the tasty and nourishing "tea' it will make. From Caribbean Cooking for Pleasure, Mary Slater.
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped chives
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 large fish head, cleaned, eyes in tact (or more to taste)
- 2 pints water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 medium sized potatoes, peeled & diced
- 2 cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- Fry chopped herbs in butter, without allowing them to brown.
- Add the fish head, water & salt.
- Bring to the boil in a large saucepan.
- Skim, add vegetables & cloves & pepper.
- Simmer for 35 - 40 minutes, until all the vegetables are soft.
- Remove fish head, skin & bone it, flake the flesh and return to the soup.
- Serve sprinkled with chives & parsley.
- For thicker soup blend 1 oz flour & 4 tablespoons milk to a paste, add to the soup & simmer for a further 5 minutes.