Fish tacos offer new twist, maybe for Lenten Fridays or just about anytime. Adapted from Free Press. Note: For the ultimate experience, keep your condiments cool and your fish hot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Cilantro Tartar Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons capers, plus a little caper juice
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, minced (with seeds, if desired)
For The Fish
- 1 1/4-1 1/2 lbs cod fish fillets, tilapia fillets (or other firm fish) or 1 1/4-1 1/2 lbs mahi mahi fillets (or other firm fish)
- 1 cup fish-fry coating mix
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- ground black pepper
- about 1 cup peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 12 (6 inch) flour tortillas, warmed in the microwave
- 1To make the Cilantro Tartar Sauce: In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, cilantro, lime juice, capers and jalapeno. Cover and refrigerate up to 1 day.
- 2For the Fish: Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Rinse and pat dry the fillets. Cut into 2-by-1-inch pieces.
- 3In a bowl, mix the coating mix with 1/2 - 3/4 cup water. The batter should be very thin, like pancake batter. On a shallow dish or pie plate, mix flour, cayenne, chili powder and salt and black pepper to taste.
- 4Pour oil into a large nonstick skillet to a depth of at least 1/4 inch. Place over medium-high heat.
- 5When oil is hot, fry fish. Working in batches, dredge several pieces of fish in the flour mixture and then dip into the batter, allowing the excess batter to drip off. Place in the hot oil and fry on all sides until browned, about 5 - 6 minutes. Transfer to a baking sheet and place in the oven to keep the fish hot. Repeat with remaining fish.
- 6To assemble, place some cabbage on each warm tortilla. Top with 2 - 3 pieces of fish and a dollop of tartar sauce. Garnish with green onions and diced avocado.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fish Tacos With Cilantro Tartar Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (1567 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 291.7
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 25.4 mg
- Sodium 480.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 13.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: