Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Serving size: 2 tacos per person. Recipe source: Health (April 2010)
Make and share this Fish Tacos recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons lime juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 1⁄2 lbs halibut fillets, cut into 6 (4 ounce)
- 1⁄2 English cucumber, sliced
- 1⁄2 red onion, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 teaspoon serrano chili, seeded and minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups salsa
- In a pie pan or dish combine oil, 2 tablespoons lime juice, chile powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Toss fish in mixture and then chill for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile make relish by combining relish ingredients in small bowl (cucumber, onion, oj, 2 tablespoons lime juice, sugar, remaining salt (1/2 t) and remaining pepper (1/4 t). Set aside.
- For the dressing combine mayonnaise, sour cream and remaining lime juice (2 T) and refrigerate until needed.
- Prepare grill and spray with Pam and heat to medium high. Grill fish 2-5 minutes per side or until done. Remove from grill and let cool slightly before dividing fish pieces in half while warming tortillas on grill (less than 30 seconds per side) -- wrap in foil to keep warm.
- Stir serrano chile into relish.
- To make tacos: spoon 2 T relish into each tortilla, flake fish piece onto the tortilla and then top with salsa and drizzle with the sauce. Fold tortilla (taco) in half and serve.
ellie_ , you have a winner here. Not a fan of fish, but a great fan of tacos. Another reviewer pointed the way...and I found peace for fish. This was excellent. I didn't change anything...except I grilled inside. That's it. The sauce. Excellent. The salad/compote? Excellent! The fish...oh I wish I could swim like a fish. You have a won on this recipe, ellie! Keep it up! Loved, loved, loved.
This recipe is going into my best of the best file! I loved these fish tacos. I was a bit skeptical, too. I normally top my fish tacos with a slaw and avocado. I ended up loving the cucumber relish. It worked so well with the mayo/sour cream mixture and the salsa with serrano peppers. By the way, I loved the serrano pepper added to the salsa - it made such a difference! Also, I don't normally care for corn tortillas but grilling them made all the difference in the world. They were awesome here. I only made one change, I used tilapia. Thank you for a fabulous recipe!
Awesome recipe. I only gave it 4 stars because I didnt stick to the recipe. I put my own spin on things like using Tilapia, and instead of just using chili powder, I also used taco seasoning, then baked it in the oven @400 for 5-7 mins. Now with my dressing, I added a little dill (cause it goes great with fish) and garlic powder just because I love it. And with my relish, well it really wasn't a relish. I just chopped up a cucumber, a tomato, red onion, avocado, lettuce and kept it all on the side so that my family could pick and choose what they wanted to put on the taco(which by the way I used muli grain wraps)Oh and I didn't use any salsa cause we didn't have any in the house. Over all it came out fantastic. If i never saw this recipe I would never have been able to figure out a yummy way to put one of these together,Thanks for posting it. Defiantly a keeper