We got the best fish tacos in a little fishing village in Mexico. I have tried to recreate them as best as possible
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 package taco seasoning mix, divided
- 1 lb cod or 1 lb white fish fillet, cut into 1 inch pieces (about 4)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 (12 count) package taco shells, warmed or 1 (12 count) package flour tortillas
- shredded cabbage
- chopped tomato
- lime juice
- taco sauce
- Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, cilantro and 2 tablespoons seasoning mix in small bowl.
- Combine fish, vegetable oil, lemon juice and remaining seasoning mix in medium bowl; pour into large skillet.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until cod flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- Fill taco shells with fish mixture.
- Top with toppings.
GREAT recipe. I used Tilapia.
PROS: Amazing sauce, very quick and easy, cutting the fish into pieces rather than strips is perfect, overall taste fantastic
CONS: as other reviews have stated only use 1 T. oil and 1 chopped green onion added to the sauce is a Necessity. While adding hot sauce later is good, mixing 1 t. garlic/chili sauce in with the fish before frying is better,
OVERALL: This is definitely my new fish taco recipe. 4 stars for the few needed additions/subtractions but this one is worth making monthly or for friends.
This was an awesome fish taco recipe! I really liked that it wasn't fried, so many are battered and fried. I made a few changes, but nothing drastic and this came out great! I added a good squeeze of lime juice into the sauce which was heavenly. Loved that the best I think. I used tilapia since that is what I had on hand. I also used shredded lettuce, cheddar cheese, salsa and green onion for toppings since I don't like cabbage. The fish was great and tender and tasted fresh and flavorful. We put everything on a warmed flour tortillas and altogether this was an excellent lenten lunch! Thank you for posting Tish, I can't wait to buy some more fish to make these!!! yuuuummmmmmmy!
this was delicious!!
it was super fast and very easy to make! i was at first hesitant of adding the taco seasoning thinking that it would make the fish taste like beef, but it complimented it perfectly!
we used talapia, wheat wraps, lowfat sour cream with 1 teasp of mayo for a healthier meal and it was perfect! will definitely make this over and over again! thanks for sharing this recipe!